Each year, NYSE Euronext celebrates Financial Capability in April with a series of events and bell ringings, including Financial Capability Week from April 15-19. These partnership events and bell ringing ceremonies highlight the importance of this issue and celebrate organizations initiatives to help and companies working to improve financial capability.
An overview of the 2013 Agenda is below:
April 12th Event and Closing Gong, Amsterdam:
- Executives from NYSE Euronext Amsterdam will talk with students on Financial Markets and the Role of the Exchange.
- Closing gong will be sounded by the students.
April 15th Forum and Closing Bell, New York:
- Forum: “Financial Capability: Empowering Girls and Women": The Forum will feature Nobel Prize recipient and founder of Grameen Bank, Muhammad Yunus being interviewed along with CNBC host Maria Bartiromo; Anna Maria Chavez, CEO of Girl Scouts of USA, launching the Girl Scouts' new study on girls' financial capability; and a panel discussion with leaders from academia, government and the corporate sector. The forum is designed to bring together women and girls' empowerment organizations with the financial capability field to promote collaboration, as well as to bring non-profit leaders and policymakers together with executives from companies that care about these issues and seek to partner to promote the financial empowerment of women and girls.
- Closing Bell will be rung by Forum Speakers.
April 16th Opening Bell and Breakfast, New York:
- NYSE’s Workplace Financial Fitness Launch: NYSE will be launching a suite of tools that we will provide to our Listed Companies in the US to promote the financial fitness of their employees, with the goal of putting millions of Americans in a more secure financial position. The tools include: the NYSE Workplace Financial Fitness Toolkit which provides advice and tools for employers and employees; a new partnership with HelloWallet, a technology-based service delivered through employer subscriptions to help individuals improve their financial security; and a music video by SecondCity (the comedy troupe), commissioned by NYSE Euronext, that employers can use to highlight the importance of financial fitness to their employees. Both the partnership with HelloWallet and the video will be launched at this event. The partnership between NYSE & HelloWallet will enable our Listed Companies to purchase HelloWallet for their employees at a special discount. The Bell Ringing and Breakfast will include representatives from NYSE Euronext-listed companies that have already seen success with HelloWallet, as well as others who have innovative workplace financial fitness programs for their employees. Opening bell will be rung by HelloWallet, SecondCity, NYSE and a group of Listed Companies with strong workplace financial fitness programs.
April 17th Event and Opening Bell, Belfast:
- NYSE Euronext Belfast and Business in the Community NI are hosting an event to better understand the challenges facing STEM education. Discussion will include practical examples of education / business engagement on financial literacy initiatives, challenges schools face in delivering this education and encouraging the uptake of finance / math careers. The forum will also identify opportunities for joint-working to help bridge the gap between classroom teaching and employer needs.
April 17th Event and Opening Bell, New York:
- Members of the FINRA Investor Education Foundation’s Military Financial Readiness Program will visit the NYSE and ring The Opening Bell.
April 17th Closing Bell, Brussels:
- Flemish Minister of Education Pascal Smet will ring the Bell along with students in Communication and Journalism.
- NYSE Euronext Brussels is organizing a lecture session about the role of the stock market in the financing of companies, dedicated to these students.
April 17th Event and Closing Bell, Lisbon:
- NYSE Euronext Lisbon will inaugurate the first NYX Young Professional Session (YPS). These sessions are dedicated to professionals in the early stage of their careers with the aim of offering education opportunities in the field of capital markets. These sessions will be organized in partnership with the Euronext Lisbon market members.
- President of CMVM, the Portuguese securities market regulator, Carlos Tavares will give a speech on the Portuguese National Plan for Financial Literacy.
- President of CMVM, the Portuguese securities market regulator, Carlos Tavares, and President of Junior Achievement in Portugal, Erica Nascimento will ring the closing bell.
April 17th Event and Closing Bell, New York:
- Forum: Financial Capability Steps into the Marketplace – in partnership with the Center for Financial Services Innovation, this forum will feature four of the twelve finalists of the FinCapDev competition, a nationwide $100,000 challenge to develop new mobile apps to help working Americans make smart financial choices and get better access to financial services. Through this competition, fully functioning, high-impact apps will be brought to market and available for consumers to use. The forum will also feature a panel focused on the innovative work our Listed Companies are doing to promote improved financial access and capability for underserved consumers. The event will be webcast live and can be accessed here.
- Closing Bell will be rung by panelists
April 19th Closing Bell, New York:
- Celebrating NYSE Euronext partner nonprofits delivering financial literacy tools to children: NFTE, CEE, JA and BKFK will ring the closing bell.
- Network for Teaching Entrepreneurship: works closely with educators in high-need schools to re-engage students in learning, introduce them to business concepts, and open up their possibilities for the future.
- Council for Economic Education: the leading organization in the United States that focuses on the economic and financial education of students from kindergarten through high school.
- Junior Achievement: empowers young people to own their economic success. Our volunteer-delivered, K-12 programs foster work-readiness, entrepreneurship and financial literacy skills, and use experiential learning to inspire kids to dream big.
- By Kids For Kids: BKFK administers The Secret Millionaires Club - an animated series that features Warren Buffett as a mentor to a group of entrepreneurial kids whose adventures lead them to encounter financial and business problems to solve. The program teaches the basic of good financial decision making and some of the basic lessons of starting a business.
April 22nd Conference and Opening Bell, Paris
- NYSE Grow (Paris Women´s Resource Group) is organizing a conference for students and recent graduates. Executives from NYSE Euronext Paris will present information on exchanges, particularly the different job profiles within NYSE Euronext.
- Speakers and participants will ring the Closing Bell.
April 30th, Event, London:
- Students from a central London school will visit our main London offices in the City for a Financial Literacy workshop run by Young Enterprise (aka Junior Achievement). Executives from NYSE’s London offices will be involved in the program during the course of the day.