Lisbon Stock Exchange

Lisbon Portugal’s stock exchanges have been operating since 1769. The original exchange the Assembleia dos Homens de Negócio in the Praça do Comércio Square was located in the heart of downtown Lisbon. Its predecessor, the Bolsa de Valores do Porto (Porto Stock Exchange) in Porto was founded a little over a century later in 1891.

After the military on April 25, 1974, the revolutionary National Salvation Junta closed both the Lisbon and Porto stock exchanges. Two years later, bond trading sessions resumed, soon to be followed by the transaction of all the securities listed on the Lisbon Stock Exchange.

Today’s Portuguese exchange was formed in the December 1999 restructuring of the Lisbon Stock Exchange association and the Porto Derivatives Exchange Association. The new company, resulting from that merger of the two exchanges, changed its company name to BVLP (Bolsa de Valores de Lisboa e Porto) - Sociedade Gestora de Mercados Regulamentados, S.A. Since then BLVP has been responsible for the management of the regulated cash and derivatives markets, as well as the management of other non-regulated markets.

The Euronext Lisbon was created in September 2002 when Euronext N.V. aqcuired shares of Bolsa de Valores de Lisboa e Porto (BVLP) and the Lisbon-based exchanges were merged into NYSE Euronext’s pan-European exchange.Euronext Lisbon members trade all cash market products listed on the markets of Euronext Paris, Amsterdam and Brussels.